Due to our growing workload, we seek to recruit a Graduate Hydraulic Modeller / Engineer to support our existing project teams. The role will be primarily based from our offices in Havant, although travel within the UK and Ireland will be required for client meetings and field work activities. The role involves the application of hydraulic modelling software to assess the performance of drinking water networks and deliver innovative resilient design solutions to our expanding client base.
We are looking for an enthusiastic graduate, with good numerical, analytical, and communication skills, who is keen to start a career in the water industry.
HydroCo Limited provide water companies with clean water network modelling support using a dedicated and highly experienced team of qualified professionals, based in the UK. The company has built, field tested and calibrated network models to the exacting standards required to help water companies plan and improve the design and operation of their distribution networks.
As network analysis specialists we have built up a wealth of experience gained from working with many clients. Our expertise enables us to exploit current technology to derive the most cost-effective, long-term solutions, helping water companies understand the performance of their assets and driving their investment strategies. This expertise is also used to provide complementary services that help integrate the activities of Network Managers and bring about operational and financial savings to the water distribution network management function.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geography, Mathematics, Environmental Science or similar (although applicants with alternative qualifications may be considered)
- Flexibility to travel for work
- Good IT skills and a good level of ability in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio & PowerPoint) is required
- Effective verbal communication skills are essential.
- Ability to write clear technical reports and produce supporting plots & diagrams.
- Willing to support field work activities, working outside in all weathers, installing pressure loggers etc.
- Must possess a full UK driving licence
Other advantageous skills:
- Whilst full training will be given and no previous experience is necessary, an understanding of hydraulics and an engineering based qualification would be an advantage.
- A previous role or experience working within the water industry
- Previous use of hydraulic modelling software such as InfoWorks WS PRO, SynerGi, Epanet or InfoWater would also be an advantage
- Experience with GIS based software packages such as ArcGIS, MapInfo etc. would be beneficial
- Knowledge of modelling specific programming languages such as SQL or Ruby would be an advantage
The Role of Graduate Hydraulic Modeller
The work will be divided between office (est. 85%) and field-based (est. 15%) activities, depending on the current project workload.
Office Based Activities
- The office-based activities will include supporting our engineers in producing computer-based hydraulic models of water supply and distribution systems.
- This will involve data processing of the field data and generating the base models using GIS.
- As you develop technically, you will be involved in the calibration of hydraulic models and will become fully conversant with industry software such as InfoWorks WS pro, SynerGi etc.
- You will also be required to use models to assess the performance of the distribution system. Studies may include; Developer Enquiries, resolving Operational Issues, Pressure Management, Critical Pipe Analysis, Pump Optimisation etc.
- You will be responsible for writing your own technical reports.
Field Based Activities
- This will include installing data logging equipment on hydrants and visiting pumping stations and reservoirs to log pressures and reservoir depths.
- You will be required to work with another person to help navigate and install/retrieve the loggers.
- We will provide all the necessary training and equipment to do this.
- Your duties may include driving company vehicles.
- Our clients are UK wide and there may be a need to travel and stay away, if appropriate.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Positive outlook and approachable manner.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and able to work independently
- Team orientated with the ability to work closely with colleagues
- Flexible in terms of travel
- Ability to complete projects on time, within budget and to a high technical standard.
Remuneration / benefits
We value and promote a positive work-life balance and encourage every member of our team to get involved with charity, sports, community, and company events. Providing a balanced, enjoyable career is important to us, and we work hard to make sure everyone feels a valued part of our organisation.
You will receive an attractive salary that will match your skills and experience, as well as the following benefits:
- Competitive starting salary: £22,000.00-£24,000.00 per year
- Company bonus scheme
- Pension scheme.
- Up to 25 days paid holiday plus 8 statutory days holiday.
- Potential for home working
- Structured Training scheme, with opportunities to become chartered.
- Excellent opportunities for development and progression within the company.
- Free on-site car parking.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Supportive working environment
- Permanent Position
This is an opportunity to quickly develop a rewarding technical career with advancement and responsibility in the company limited only by your own abilities.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
To apply for the Graduate Hydraulic Modeller position (reference HYDGHM22) please send your full CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org